Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11


As with most people, I clearly remember where I was on September 11, 2001. It was my first day back to work after my honeymoon -- I was excited to show everyone pictures from our wedding, etc., but that was very short-lived. At first, I didn't really "get" the magnitude of what was happening. Another girl from work and I were going to go to her house at lunch to watch the news. My boss said we could leave if we wanted to, but I figured with just missing over a week of work for my wedding, I probably shouldn't take another day off. But, a little while later, one of the VP's sent everyone home, since I was working in a 20 floor building. Who knew what else could've happened that day. I spent the rest of the afternoon at that girl's house, watching everything unfold. Wow.


Since then, my husband has become a volunteer firefighter, and I have a new appreciation for everything that happened that day. Those firefighters had NO IDEA what they were getting themselves into, just that there was a big fire and people to save. NYC firefighters have seen bigger fires than the Saukville firefighters, but knowing firefighters now, that's what they live for, the big fires. I'm sure they had no thoughts, whatsoever, that they might die that day, even entering that building. And all the innocent people in those buildings and airplanes, I do have some peace that the majority of them went quickly and didn't suffer.


It's days like this that make me more thankful than ever for my healthy family and friends all around me. My problems seem miniscule compared to that day.


If you know any firefighters, thank them for all they do....it's more than you might think.


No comments:

Post a Comment